The Masonic Building

 Corner of 11th Street and E Avenue, Carrizozo, NM, USA

Corner of 11th Street and E Avenue, Carrizozo, NM, USA

 

about the Masonic Building…

One of Carrizozo's oldest structures, the Masonic Building was built in 1907 by William McDonald in White Oaks.  Finishing it after it was moved from White Oaks to Carrizozo was Frank English's first job here.  New to Town, he slept in his sleeping bag in the vault during construction.  The second story was finished in 1909 and has been used as a Masonic Hall since then.  The Masons purchased the building in 1926 and have owned it since.  Over the years, the downstairs has had many uses - the Town's first movie theater, a mortuary, a USO office during WWII, and a dance studio.