CARRIZOZO'S HISTORIC HOMES AND 12TH STREET
Saturday & Sunday, August 18 & 19
Trolly Tours - 11am, 1pm, 3pm Walking Tours - Noon, 2pm
carrizozo was born with the dawn of the 20th century…
Before the railroad tracks reached the site of present day Carrizozo in August 1899, as far as the eye could see there were few signs of human habitation at the upper end of the Tularosa Basin. There were just a few scattered cattle ranches established in the 1870's and a lonely state stagecoach road that crossed the landscape from the booming gold-mining town of White Oaks 12 miles to the northeast.
As Carrizozo began to flourish, White Oaks began to decline. Many of its former residents moved their homes and businesses (some quite literally) to the new town as railroad employees moved in and the land surrounding Carrizozo quickly opened for homesteading.
Carrizozo, like the new century, had grand dreams for its future. Its buildings and homes were built well and meant to last, thanks in part to Frank English whose legacy is everywhere here. Between 1908 and 1925, Mr. English built approximately 30 houses and commercial buildings, many of which are still in use today. They are solid, durable and comfortable and several are included on this tour.
We hope you enjoy seeing some of our Town's most noteworthy homes and buildings on this tour!
CLICK on pictures for location details ...